Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

You Are More Beautiful Than You Think You Are



My friend Nicole shared this video with me this morning. Dove conducted a social experiment  surrounding the fact that only 4% of women around the world consider themselves beautiful. Now, I'm not sure where this 4% came from or the background behind the pool size/selection of the women surveyed; but I absolutely believe that negative body image is something every. single. woman has struggled with at some point or another. And some women struggle with it every day. This actually goes beyond limiting negative body image to women, though. This video demonstrates the fact that we ALL (men included!) have things we pin point and hone in on about ourselves. Whether it's freckles or cellulite or weight or height or muscles or hair color or the shape of your nose - negative body image is truly an epidemic in our culture. And sadly, it's mostly self-induced.  I'm the first to admit how critical of myself I am, too. Watching this video had me thinking, 'I wonder how I would describe myself to Gil?' Would it look like me? Would I have over-emphasized the parts of myself that I am self-conscious about?

It's practically impossible to just "turn off" feelings of self-consciousness. But this video is SUCH an important reminder that at the end of the day, you are your own worst critic, and no one else is nearly as consumed with that awkward freckle on your cheek than you are. In fact, chances are no one else even notices it. So, instead of spending hours in the mirror criticizing our uniquely beautiful selves, we need to spend our time learning to feel confident and comfortable in our own skin, exemplifying our beauty from within, and ultimately creating your own best YOU. The best part about that? No one gets to decide what or who that looks like for you.

And guess what? YOU ARE MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE. Remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment